Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The Photoshelter Collection

I am still a bit distraught I lost so much work in my hard drive crash. I had my first does of reality when submitting a photo to the new Photoshelter Collection. I had an awesome image of my friend Ben climbing a 5.8 crack out at the Wichita Mountains, but the photo could not be accepted because the file size was to small. I had the best images saved on my main hard drive as a JPG, but the RAW files where on the drive that crashed. I was however able to up the resolution and achieve a usable file size, but that will have to wait until my second submission, hopefully at lest some of my images make the first cut so I can continue to submit images.

For those that don't know, Photoshelter is making a valiant attempt to compete with Getty Images. They are starting what is called "The Photoshelter Collection". They are basically similar to penny stock agencies such as iStockPhoto, but they do not allow you to price an image under $50. The photographer also retains their copyright and submits on a nonexclusive basis. The percentage paid out to the photographer is also higher than any other stock agency out there.

This is an excellent opportunity for photographers to make extra income off the photos they already own. The only thing that sucks for me is that I have lost a ton of work I could have submitted. I am in the process of contacting past clients though about getting copies of the work I did for them, but I still can not recover the personal work I had worked so hard on.

Anyway, below is a photo of me photographing a trad climber on the route Orange Peel at The Granite Gripper at Enchanted Rock. My friend Alx Eller from the Texas Mountaineers took the photo.

1 comment:

Caleb said...

Testing the comments.